Menu Close

14-year-old boy fired fatal shot in wild Bronx subway shootout, cops say

14-year-old boy fired fatal shot in wild Bronx subway shootout, cops say
A 14-year-old boy fired the fatal shot that killed an innocent bystander on a Bronx subway platform last month in a wild shootout that left one person paralyzed and four others wounded, prosecutors said Tuesday.

The teen, who cops said is affiliated with the Burnside Crew, exchanged gunfire with rival gang members in the D Block gang on the No. 4 platform at the Mt. Eden Station Feb. 12.

He is charged with murder, attempted murder and criminal possession of a weapon. The Daily News is not releasing the suspect’s name due to his age.

Already arrested is 16-year-old Langel Jones, who was charged as an adult and ordered held without bail on murder charges. A 15-year-old boy who was with Jones is still being sought, cops said.

Langel, a member of the D Block Crew, and the 15-year-old were walking through the train when they spotted the 14-year-old, cops said.

The teens got into a shootout, firing at least 19 bullets back and forth. The younger teen was shot in the gunfire along with four other people and 35-year-old Obed Beltrán-Sánchez, police said.

Beltrán-Sánchez, who was sitting on the train but stepped out onto the platform to get a glimpse of the commotion, was shot in the chest.

The Mexican immigrant was rushed to St. Barnabas Hospital, but he could not be saved.

The shooting also paralyzed one of the victims, according to prosecutors. Another woman hit by gunfire will need to undergo reconstructive surgery, they added.

“It is believed that this defendant fired the fatal shot that resulted in the death of the decedent,” Assistant District Attorney Morgan Dolan said at the teen’s arraignment.

The boy also fired bullets at members of the D Block crew outside a bodega on Davidson Ave. on Jan. 15 — an incident Dolan said makes him a flight risk.

He was charged with attempted murder in the earlier shooting, according to prosecutors.

The teen was held without bail following the arraignment, where his mother sobbed in the audience as the handcuffed youth stood before a judge.

“Love you,” the boy uttered to his brother as he was led from the courtroom.

The boy is due back in court April 18.

Source link

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *